Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ann Arbor

My job search is taking me all over the USA, and as graduation approaches, the urgency to find a job increases. Knowing that I MIGHT have to leave Ann Arbor brings up so many feelings of ambivalence. Let's break it down...

I was so over Fort Collins after college, and some what before. I went through my deepest bought of depression my last two years there, and I think a lot of that town reminds me of it, despite how much I generally love it there. The point is, I ran to Michigan. I ran partially because University of Michigan is such an amazing school, and their Social Work program was number 1 in the nation at the time I applied (number 2 to Columbia now), but also because it offered me something new and different, and it was far far away. I needed the change in atmosphere, scenery and culture, and I have been the happiest I have been in awhile here. I have learned and grown SO much as a person. It is completely incredible. Basically, Ann Arbor saved me in so many ways, and I'm not so sure I'm ready to leave quite yet.

6 Things I love about Ann Arbor:
1. The size: I love how small and homey if feels, yet its not too small. It is actually quite perfect.
2. The culture: Ok ok, it has a little bit of the "limousine liberal" feel (sort of like Boulder), but really, it is fantastic. I feel very at ease and comfortable here. Of course, I am an upper-middle class white person, but regardless, it works for me. I love seeing those pride flags on front porches.
3. The people: Mid west accents make me smile. Mid west pride makes me smile. It just makes me smile.
4. My friends: What more can I say? The people I have met here are so caring, warm, intelligent, and accepting. I have found so much of my own inner peace from the wonderful people I have met here.
5. Earthern Jar: www.earthenjar.com. Check it out for yourself.
6. Detroit: I LOVE Detroit. I don't care what people have to say about it. That place is so wonderful. It is unique and fascinating, and it needs so much help.

5 Things I don't love so much about Ann Arbor:
1: Mountains: or the lack there of. I miss them so much.
2. The bitter cold: I didn't know snot could freeze so quickly inside my nostrils...
3: Forests: Ok so yes, Michigan has a lot of wilderness, but its a good few hour drive in the car to see any of it. No more walk outside of my back door. I was so spoiled.
4: Mom and Dad, CO Friends: MISS MISS MISS. I want to be near my parents forever. I don't care how that sounds!
5: College town: Admittedly, there is a lot about living in a college town that I like a lot (never ceases to be entertaining), and I really do appreciate the pride and loyalty that UM fans have, but ick. I'm kind of over it.
6. No New Belgium. UGH- I don't want to talk about it.

So, there you have it. We'll see where I end up in the next couple of months, but if it turns out to be Ann Arbor, I won't be disappointed :)

I leave you with a picture of the little park in our backyard. It has been a bit of a saving grace due to my lack of "real" wilderness :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my... Earthen Jar does look amazing! It reminds me of this place in San Diego that I've only been to once, but it was SO good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran many a time around that duck pond! Although I probably walked more...

    ReplyDelete