Monday, February 21, 2011

My Open Letter to the Jolly Pumpkin

Dear Jolly Pumpkin,

I am a vegan, and as a vegan, it is often very difficult to find a nice and fun place to eat. Although Ann Arbor is conveniently pretty "veg friendly", I am still constantly searching for delicious vegan food. I thought Jolly Pumpkin was one of the few places that offered a wide selection of vegan choices, until today. I was heart broken today. Let me tell you about it...

We began visiting Jolly Pumpkin as soon as the Ann Arbor location was open. We are HUGE lovers of beer, and your beer is honestly delicious. The restaurant ambiance is lovely, and the service is always friendly. Being vegan, I tried all of the 2 sandwiches that could easily be made vegan, and honestly i wasn't extremely impressed. Next, I tried a salad, and let me tell you, it is such a bummer (and almost offensive) for a vegan to be offered a SALAD for dinner. I like more than a plate of lettuce for dinner.
I brought this up to a server several months ago, and he mentioned the soy cheese options for the pizza. I told him that not all soy cheeses were vegan (in fact, most aren't) and he ASSURED me that it was. He told our table several stories to assure us, including one about a customer asking about gluten free bread and being paranoid about it even when he assured them, AND about the owner of Jolly Pumpkin being vegan, so OF COURSE the soy cheese was vegan. I WAS ELATED!! Especially upon consuming the pizza and finding it delicious. I craved it. I couldn't believe what i was eating, especially being a food snob and a passionate cook. I tried to create it at home, and never could. I even asked where the cheese was from, and was told a local market in Detroit. I asked a few more times upon going to Jolly Pumpkin, just to make sure. I was reassured 2 more times that the soy cheese was in fact vegan. Magic. I was an addict. Jolly Pumpkin was in our plans at least once a week (no joke).

Until today. Remember when I said I was heart broken? When ordering, I was told that the soy cheese WASN'T VEGAN. CRUSHED. I told our server how disappointing that was, especially since I asked several times in the past, and was continually reassured. She apologized and offered some of the other sub par vegan selections (as previously explained) and I picked the pita and dip for an appetizer (minus the edamame which as you know isn't vegan but also very misleading since soy beans are always a safe go to for vegans). I felt like walking out. I really did. I almost did, even. I felt betrayed and disappointed.
But, this story has a happy ending. Our server, Holly, was lovely. She apologized several times, and then took all of our food off of our bill, leaving the delicious beers. I was happy to pay for the beers, of course, and left the restaurant in a much better mood. At least Holly understood how crappy of a situation that was for me.

I won't come back to Jolly Pumpkin for food. :( It makes me sad to say that, but I would rather spend the money on real vegan food, like at Sevas, Jazzy Veggie, or Earthen Jar. I'll come back for the beer of course, but not as frequently. Just trying to be honest here.

Sorry for the long email. I felt like i needed my betrayal to be heard. It's a good thing being vegan is a moral issue for me, and not a health one, because this story could have been a lot different for the both of us.

I plead with you to get some vegan cheese for the pizzas. I think it would be delicious. Until then, at least train every server to be as in-tuned to vegan lifestyles as Holly so that they ask questions when ordering, and are able to properly answer customer questions. Maybe label menus better too, so that it is more clear for us vegan folk. Also, more vegan options would be swell. Vegans like beer and fun too, you know.

Thanks for listening, Jolly Pumpkin. I still love you, just not as much.

Oh, and say thanks again to Holly for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment